Tuesday, March 23, 2010

VIRAL VIDEO OF THE DAY - MIRACLE ESCAPE FROM MOTORWAY MADNESS


The 31 year-old, from York, was travelling to work earlier this year when her Renault Clio was trapped underneath the 18-wheel lorry. Despite pulling her handbrake, tooting her horn and flashing her hazard lights the driver was still apparently unaware of the unfolding drama. Mrs Williams, who had joined the A1(M) 10 minutes from her surgery in Leeds thought she was going to die. “I kept thinking, ‘nobody knows I'm here. Nobody has seen me’. I tried everything,” she said. “I was watching other cars, thinking, ‘Help me, just help me’ – but they didn't seem to be doing very much.” The incident involving the truck driver, who has since been suspended, was captured on video and subsequently posted on YouTube. In the video, taken near Wetherby, West Yorks, a passenger shouts: “He hasn’t seen it!” Almost 50,000 people have since viewed it since it was posted last week. The footage was so dramatic many thought it was a fake. It has forced West Yorkshire Police to announce they will be re-investigating the incident. A source at the firm has said they had been “inundated” with calls since the story broke. Mrs Williams said she became aware of the tanker after having driven for a while. "We had been on the road together for a while and he was in the middle lane,” she said. “The next thing I know I’m stuck to the front of his lorry. I’ve no idea how but I didn’t deviate from my path. I just felt a knock and then I was travelling sideways. I don’t know how long for – but it felt like forever. “I was terrified the tanker was going to crash me into the central reservation, and that would be that.” The terrified driver then grabbed her mobile phone from her handbag and rang police. “I wasn't on hands-free, but I figured I wasn't really driving the car,” she told newspapers on Monday.. “I just screamed at the operator, ‘I'm going to die, I'm going to die! Can you do something?’ “She tried to calm me down but there wasn't really anything she could do at the end of the phone.” After a minute the driver spotted her and finally managed to manoeuvre the lorry to the hard shoulder. Shaken, she then rang her 32 year-old husband, Rob, who is also a vet. “You're not going to believe what's just happened,” she told him. But the driver did not think the accident was serious, even asking her if he needed to stay around. Pointing out he did, the police eventually arrived and insurance details were swapped. While she is nervous about driving on the motorway, her £6000 car survived with only a dented side and damaged tyres. “All things considered it came out of it pretty well. It’s a tough little car,” she said.

No comments: