Wednesday, April 20, 2011

AGORAPHOBIC CAN'T LEAVE HOUSE BUT IS MASSIVE STAR IN ASIA THANKS TO THE TUBE THAT IS YOU...


A 20-year-old Worcestershire girl has become a pop star in China and Japan - despite not leaving her own house for two years. Jemma Pixie Hixon always dreamed of becoming a star but her fledgling career came to a halt when she developed agoraphobia, reports the Daily Mail. So she decided to film herself singing in a makeshift recording studio in her bedroom in Malvern then post the footage on the internet. Thanks to those recordings Miss Hixon, 20, is now a big name in China and Japan where millions of people have watched her performances on YouTube. She performs a mixture of covers of chart hits and her own songs, and last month, one video achieved 'most viewed' status in China with more than six million hits. She said: "For the last two years I've been struggling with agoraphobia. I used to perform all the time and I really wanted a way I could continue. "I decided to put my songs up on YouTube so I could share them with lots of people, even though I'm still housebound." Miss Hixon, who lives with her parents Tonia, 50, and Mark, 49, has never suffered stage fright and even once sang on live television. She said: "When I was 13 I won a competition on The Saturday Show on BBC1 to sing with the Sugababes. I sang on live TV and it didn't bother me at all, but I just turn into a big panic ball when I try to leave the house. "It is weird to think that there are people in China and Japan with my poster on their walls and songs on their iPods while I haven't left the house for two years."

No comments: