Wednesday, November 5, 2008

DIG THIS!

A man who built a Lamborghini in his basement has had to dig into the foundations of his house to remove it.

Ken Imhoff began building the sportscar after falling in love with it during the movie Cannonball Run. He built his own version in the basement of his home in Wisconsin, USA, over a period of 17 years. However, when he finished assembling it, he was confronted with the problem of how to get the car out. Since there was no garage door through which to drive the vehicle, he was forced to hire an excavator to gouge out a slope in his garden and then dig down into the foundations of his house. The car was then hooked up to the excavator and pulled out. Despite the amount of effort involved, Mr Imhoff said that it was all worth it.

He said: "I was like an expectant father watching it come through the wall. I was literally shaking and running the supposed plan over and over in my head. 'Have I overlooked anything? Is some of the wall going to fall on my work of seventeen years?..." "The neighbours started gathering around as it emerged, waiting for me to remove the blankets. It was like an artist unwrapping his masterpiece. I had never seen it in the light of day either."

Mr Imhoff said he had no regrets about the drastic measures required to get his car out into the open air.He said: "As the last blanket and car cover were removed I knew at that moment I had accomplished what I had dreamed about so many years ago and to see it sitting there in front of me was surreal.

"The next day we filled the hole in the basement with new blocks. In no time it was good as new."

No comments: